2008 Stagecoach Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
Deep, dark red in color with intriguing aromas of cherry cola and blackberry jam that lead into notes of warm spices and a hint of wet gravel. The infinitely long, full palate has rich flavors of dark coffee and a cocoa finish.
HARVEST & WINEMAKING
Sequoia Grove purchases two blocks of Cabernet Sauvignon from the Stagecoach Vineyard high up on Atlas Peak. One is from one of the highest locations on the ranch and is planted to clone
337. The other is clone 2 from one of the lowest locations. Both, however, were hand harvested on October 22 at 27.8 Brix. The fruit was cluster sorted before undergoing a 2-day cold soak and a small-batch fermentation using a French yeast strain, with gentle pumpovers 2-3 times per day. In barrel, the wine underwent malolactic fermentation and aged 22 months before being racked twice and bottled in August 2010. The wine rested in our cellar until its release March 2012.
THE 2008 VINTAGE
2008 was a challenging and low-yielding—yet high-quality—vintage in Napa Valley. Heavy rains started the year, followed by one of the driest springs on record and the longest frost period in decades. After the fruit set, fewer clusters with smaller berries appeared to be the norm, which allowed the vines to focus on fruit production. Fortunately, the summer offered cooler, consistent temperatures, until a heat spell over the Labor Day holiday ratcheting everyone into high gear. Then, just as quickly, the temperatures dropped returning to seasonally normal warm days and cool nights. This gave the red varieties an optimal hang time, excellent ripening and balanced structure. We are very fortunate to work with some of the most knowledgeable growers in the best locations, and thanks to their expert skills, they delivered us beautifully ripe fruit that resulted in rich wines.
This wine pairs best with simple, straightforward flavors so the complexities of the wine aromas can shine through. It will cellar beautifully for 5 to 15 years upon release.
Download Wine Notes
||22 months in barrel
Sequoia Grove purchases two blocks of Cabernet Sauvignon from the Stagecoach Vineyard. One is from one of the highest locations on the ranch and is clone 337. The other is clone 2 from one of the lowest locations.
Brix at harvest: 27.8
Harvest date: October 22, 2008
· Hand harvested
· Cluster sorted
· 2 day cold soak
· Inoculated with a French yeast strain
· Small batch fermentation
· Pumpovers 2-3 times daily
· Malolactic fermentation in barrels
· Racked 2 times before bottling